Sunday, January 3, 2010

Viola lessons

For the seven months between July 08 and Feb 09 I was unable to go to viola lessons it was so heartbreaking not being able to play for any length of time during this period let alone go to a viola lesson. So once TAD had built the stand for me (and I returned home from a month of hospitalisation between november 08 and december 24th 08) and school resumed because the lessons ran on school terms I was able to once again return to my viola lessons. This actually presented me with a number of problems. First I had to be able to play for around half an hour (prior to getting sick in July 08 my lessons were longer 45 mins once a week AND I was able to play for much longer than that with breaks if I wanted to), I had to travel about 10km to my teachers house in an access taxi and then return home this way too. I decided that fortnightly was best because at least it was having SOME viola lessons even though if I wasn't as sick I would have preferred once a week. Well probably the hardest thing was dealing with the taxis (and not only to viola lessons) I was once able to jump in the car and drive pretty much as far as I needed to. I mean I went to Brighton once a week and that was a 70 min drive participated in Tutti from 2pm-730pm and then drove home. It was hard but I managed. When I started lessons again a whole year ago now, I had to start using taxis even going to my GP or dentist 3km from my house. This caused SO many problems I mean they dont turn up they come late occasionally they come early too. Since you have to book them well in advance in case they come late if they then come earlier than the booked time you have to wait even longer. But the problem with viola lessons unlike a drs appointment is that it interrupts the students before your lesson and after your lesson which is embarrasing for me and a bit annoying too but theres nothing we can do about it. My teacher has been extroidinarily supportive and kind and also understanding because there's nothing either of us can do.

Despite the difficulties with the taxis once I got there I thoroughly enjoyed my lessons as always and learned quite a few new pieces of music. In July when we went to Hobart for a choral festival at the revue (basically a talent show within the festival) I managed to perform with a pianist who was at the choral festival too two movements from the Eccels viola sonata. This was amazing as it was the first performance I had done since becoming ill in July 08. I also intend to perform in January 2010 at the choral festival in Canberra in a couple weeks.

It has taken a number of months but because of my viola lessons I have been able to get used to using my standing frame that TAD made me. Recently a ball and socket part of the frame has broken and so it is in for repairs as we speak in the hope it will be ready to take to Canberra or it will be fixed when we get back.

Thats all for this post..

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to play for a year now. I sympathize completely with the heartache. My broken arm also has not healed properly, in the wrong places, etc. so it will never be OK again. They say a shoulder replacement will alleviate the pain but not restore function. Haven't given up completely on that one yet though, as UCSF has more up to date procedures than other medical facilities in the area and I am going to try to see them this month. Could use your TAD people here, for sure.
    Keep me posted about your progress with the viola. Congratulations on being able to play again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about that. Do you have TAD people where you live they sure are helpful?

    ReplyDelete