Sunday, August 12, 2018

Music update!

So I havent written in quite some time but have periods of both being busy and also being unwell which kinda comes with the territory of having a disability/chronic illness.

This post is a short update about my musical endeavours. As I said in my last post my friend suggested that I needed music in my life and well i started playing the treble/alto recorder and to a limited extent the decant/soprano one as well! Well since then I have acquired a teacher who is absolutely fantastic and I certainly wouldnt have come this far without her help and guidance!

My main focus is the treble/alto recorder and I like the sound of it a lot more than the descant recorder and can hear it better cos its at a lower pitch, its a challenge reaching (and remembering) all the fingerings for all the notes, recorder is under no circumstances an "easy" instrument and why it is marketed in primary schools as such I have no real idea! i dont think ANY musical instrument is easy! But with the recorder you have all different combinations of fingerings you have different fingerings for the top and bottom octave but to make it confusing this is not always the case AND to make it even more harder there are even alternate fingers sheesh I found it hard enough to learn it first time but to do trills and things you really do need these alternate fingerings without them its just impossible!

I have learnt some duets, some solo music and I am hoping that when my friends fiance (by then they will be married) comes over to Australia again I will be able to play some music with the piano! We have moved the piano into the guesst bedroom known as the green room (to do with paint colour) and I am able to be moved in my bed into this room so I can play with the piano. And i am hoping when Liz comes down next I will get to play piano with her too.

My husband learnt descant recorder when he was a child like i did and so I have also got some trios and quartets and ensemble stuff and since a couple of friends play I am hoping i will (eventually) be able to get all of us together on the same day. This is not an easy task whatsoever but hopefully it will happen after my friend gets married next month!

I have really been enjoying it and my teacher thinks I am improving too so that is good sign. I will try to get some videos and put them up here the next time I post so you can have a listen!

thats all for this post...hopefully it wont be so long between this and next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment