Monday, February 15, 2010

TTY

Well this is not an entry about music its about using TTY. as you know I am hearing impaired deaf that is and thus have trouble on the phone. So last year I decided that I would switch to using TTY. This means that I call the national relay service or NRS and then make calls thru them and the call is relayed to the TTY machine and I can read it. If people want to call me then they ring me thru the NRS as well. It only started today. Its kinda spooky but I guess I will get used to it and so will all my friends and family! Theres even a special emergency number too equivalent of 000
I made 4 calls today thru them and it wasn't too bad. We will see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, I have a speech impairment and use either a TTY or IP Relay via NRS daily. Of course this doesn't apply to you being deaf, but info for others. I use a Uniphone and use Type & Listen. Other people who know me use this but in reverse. I hear what they say and type my response. Many people aren't aware of it so more awareness is needed. Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is really interesting. I have continued to use TTY since that blog post and I have found that many people do not understand or know about NRS or TTY and dont know what to do or how to use it. Its frustrating. I have a large print TTY rather than uniphone called superprint. It has a different coloured screen I have a visual impairment mostly out of fatigue thanks for your comment
    Erin

    ReplyDelete