Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Studying with TAFE

When we returned home a couple weeks later in about feb-march I resumed studying with TAFE. I am doing it externally and are doing certificate 3 in disability studies. its been on hold for 18 months while I was too sick to study. They came up with a special study plan to assist me with my studies to hopefully complete the 5 units I have to go prior to the cut off at the end of June 2010.
I am doing two advocacy subjects, one called leisure and recreation activities and I have to do the compulsory unit participate in saftey procedures basically OHS (including manual handling which I can only do theoretically and apparently over the phone in this case) . I also am required to complete a senior first aid certificate which is big ask for someone who is a wheelchair user with all the other medical problems i have however it is a compulsory requirement. The reason I have to finish by end of June is that the government changed the course from the start of 2010 and they gave 6 months leeway for people who were continuing students if I dont complete it I have to basically start again as the units I have done except for first aid are not transferrable plus I have to pay for the whole certificate again! and I decided I didn't want to do this hence returning to comlete the certificate.
I have passed everything so far a few sets of questions and made a start on one project for leisure and recreation.
I made contact with the National Disability Coordination Officer for people who have disabilities at tertiary level and she was interested in completing first aid as well and had a friend who is a st john trainer so she very kindly said that she would help me to see if there was a way that I could manage it all including CPR and we have been doing it fortnigthly for a month so far. Next session is tonight. it just will go as long as it needs to til we complete the certificate. Last week we had a go at CPR and I can do it although only a couple rounds not like 5 like i am suposed to do. I did about 3 the first time and then Jenny had a go and then I did about 2 rounds the second time and almost collapsed from immense fatigue the second time. But it proved we could do it both of us. We did on table cause I cant get on or off the floor and cannot sit without something behind me because the dystonia starts up. its painful. I got the dystonia while I was doing the compressions which didn't work too well
But all in all TAFE so far has been a rather positive experience!
I want to use the certificate for the idea of teaching People with disabilities viola and violin and set up a group to play and perform in

No comments:

Post a Comment